As covered by WWD, Barneys worked with Peach & Lily founder Alicia Yoon to launch a Mask Bar concept in two of their stores (Madison Ave and Downtown) as well as online.
I went to the Downtown Barneys location to check it out.
- I was surprised by the lack of Peach & Lily branding in store, as it currently shows Peach & Lily as the "mother brand" online
- There were a lot of new brands I had never heard of with some interesting packaging and concepts
- Pricing starts at $3 and goes up from there
- Not all sheet masks products are Korean - rather this concept is really around the mask category
- A Mask Bar is an excellent entry point for customers into the concept of K-Beauty, as the friendly price points and "skintertainment" aspect make them easy purchases
- Great way for Barneys to remain on point in their beauty category, as I have written before about the importance of every retailer needing to have a K-Beauty strategy for their beauty department.
- As department stores still struggle to maintain their retail relevancy in this age of e-commerce and omni-channel, this is an interesting way for Barneys to keep relevant in beauty. Will their customers embrace it? Let's see.